29 November 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

Release Date: September 27th
Number of Pages: 452 Pages

So, I know this book has been out for a while now, but this book is simply terrific! I was searching for something to read this weekend and The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was recommended to me. As I read the synopsis, I just knew I would fall in love with it!

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.

If I could, I would give Michelle Hodkin a big hug for writing this book. It has everything in it, all the components of a good book. I had a blast this weekend.
Mara is a great main character, for me one of the best. She is strong and decided, she knows what she wants to do and does it. I loved how her power is not something you would wish for yourself. So it was really refreshing that her power is actually something bad rather than something good like in other books. In the beginning of the book she was involved in an accident surrounded by mystery. It was great to find out little by little more about this accident and to be surprised by it. The flashbacks were also a great way to show what happened that night. I would totally recommend reading this book with the lights on! It's full of suspense and I must say I was afraid of looking into the mirror for a day haha! Hodkin confuses us a lot in the book. She leaves you guessing what is real or what is a hallucionation. Sometimes I couldn't tell one from the other! Kind of amazing. In Mara's first day at school she meets a new mysterious but obviously gorgeous. But her new friend, Jamie, warns her that Noah is bad news. Hodkin makes you wonder what secrets Noah is keeping from Mara and if he is really as trustworthy as it seems. Noah's secrets are surprising and mysterious, indeed.


On the whole it was such an amazing read. I loved this book and it certainly is on my list of the best of 2011. Hodkin's writing is wonderful and leaves you wanting more. I can't wait for the sequel, which will be released in fall 2012. See below the equally great trailer of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, I'm sure you will want to read this book just by watching this awesome trailer!

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book so much as well! Though I didn't really think about comparing her power ( would never want ) to powers from characters in other popular books ( which we tend to want! ) nice catch! * I feel silly. in Jan you should look out for a book Titled Fracture, by Megan Miranda. not quite as intense as this one. but still very different in its content which is a nice change :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! This book sounds really nice, I'll be sure to check it out when it comes out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book and loved it. I agree with you I can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! I can't wait to read this book, I wasn't sure of what to think of it until your review! I loved it...

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis