29 January 2013

Review: What's Left of Me - Kat Zhang

Release Date: September 27th, 2012
Hardcover: 343 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.
In theory, this novel had everything to be epic. What's Left of Me has a refreshing premise: two souls living in one body and only the strongest soul will prevail. What if the other soul doesn't go away? Like in a typical dystopian novel, the defected will be eliminated. This novel reminded me a lot of The Host by Stephenie Meyer but it was different in many ways, so don't worry!

The story itself was great, what really went wrong was the pace set by the author. Many chapter just dragged and nothing really happened, even though there were many opportunities to the story to be more exciting. Nevertheless I enjoyed reading the novel and I fought through the slower chapters and I'm happy that I didn't just give up. The plot is promising and I'm sure the next novel will be better, either way, I'll be reading it! Now if you are expecting What's Left of Me to be filled with romance, you are certain to be disappointed.

I had a hard time forming an opinion about the characters. In the beginning I felt more connected to Eva (the narrator) and Eddie was rather boring. But in the course of the novel, I got more and more annoyed with Eva. In the end, I guess I like them both but not as much as I was expecting to. Frankly, with the other characters I made no connection whatsoever. Ryan, the probable romantic interest was rather absent and dull, but let's hope that the sequel will provide us more in the characters' department.

Nonetheless, I read this novel rather quick. Even though the pace was much slower than expected, the story was promising enough to leave readers intrigued about the next page, the next chapter and the next book.


Thanks to Harper Collins UK for providing me with a copy of What's Left of Me for review!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book. I wasn't bored by the slower parts of this book and I liked the unique concept. I'm happy that you ended up liking it enough to continue this series :) Great review.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis