01 November 2012

Review: Candid - Michelle Pennington

Release Date: April 17th 2012
Kindle Edition
Self-published

Life is simple for high school senior, Sienna Whitfield. With a few good friends, a camera, and a dream, she has everything she needs to be happy. But when Jordan Rubio, the most popular girl at Haskins High, makes her mad, she decides to use the power of photography to right a few social wrongs. As if that doesn’t cause enough drama in her life, she realizes she’s falling for the new guy, Lee Franklin. Strong and protective, he’s just what she needs to survive the craziness she’s stirred up at school. If only she didn’t have to keep her feelings for Lee a secret from her mom…
 A great start to a promising contemporary series. Michelle writes realistically enough and you have the feeling that this could happen to you too! Certainly there was more than enough drama to keep readers hooked throughout the novel. Personally I'm not a big fan of contemporary novels but I devoured this novel in 3 hours!

The Plot: The story takes place in a typical high school and the drama is that usual popular vs the not popular crowd. But it wasn't in any way boring. Pennington adds a lot of great aspects like the photography (which I completely enjoyed!) and the really strict mother. I also enjoyed that even though there was a bit of insta-love, it didn't feel that way and I could enjoy the building of the relationship. The biggest obstacle being the strict mother, the relationship only blooms late in the novel. It was a refreshing idea, even though if it were happening to me, I'd be really mad with my mother! Great atmosphere and attention-grabbing plot with lots of juicy drama!

The Characters: I really loved the characters in this novel. The main character Sienna was amazing! I really enjoyed the change in her, becoming more fearless and self-assured. Furthermore she was a photographer and I really enjoyed the precise informations in the novel regarding photography. Lee was a bit too perfect for me, really, no flaws?! Marisol, the best friend, was really funny and I was really hoping she would play a bigger role and that her relationship with Will would be a bit on the spotlight, but no such luck. Nonetheless the characters were really great.

Candid is a great contemporary novel that you shouldn't miss. The second installment to this series has been released in September; however it doesn't focus on Sienna. I can't believe it took me such a long time to start reading Candid, I loved it!

Big thanks to Michelle Pennington for providing me with a copy for review!

 
Michelle Pennington has a BA in Liberal Arts from the University of Arkansas in Little Rock. To attain this degree, she studied Literature, Rhetoric, History, and Art. She married her sweetheart, Ethan, while still in college and developed a new penchant for skipping class to spend more time with him. Despite this distraction, she still managed to graduate Magna Cum-Laude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis