22 February 2012

The Way We Fall - Megan Crewe

Release Date: January 24
Number of pages: 309

Publisher: Disney Hyperion

It starts with an itch you just can't shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you'll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in.

And then you're dead.

When a deadly virus begins to sweep through sixteen-year-old Kaelyn’s community, the government quarantines her island—no one can leave, and no one can come back. Those still healthy must fight for dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival.


As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest. Because how will she go on if there isn't? 


I am not going to say that I didn't enjoy reading The Way We Fall, but it surely isn't one of my favorites this year. Megan Crewe did create an amazingly realistic world, where a virus risk the lives of everyone on an island. I don't know if the reason of my dislike is because of the theme. A virus, which slowly kills everyone, it's kind of morbid for a book. But I'm not saying that this book was not an enjoyable read!

Kaelyn was a great character. Crewe wrote a really realistic main character. Probably because the book is written from her point of view in the form of letter to her best friend (which kind of feels like a diary). We get to experience her feelings first-handly and because she is the daughter of the island's only microbiologist we also get to know a lot about the disease and the victims of it.

Another plus point for this book is its realism. After the virus' wide spread everyone reacts differently to it. Some people go crazy, some people shies away from the hospital, some people (like Quinn, a school acquaintance) go to the bad side. They rob other people and act really selfish, even aggressive at times. Gav, Kaelyn's love interest in the book, is one of the good guys. He and his friends help other people, distributing food to each house in the city. But I totally loved the romance in this book. Gav and Kaelyn make a great couple and I loved their scenes together, even though some of them were sad. It was also realistic-written and wasn't that type of romance that is just over the top!

I disliked the beginning because I felt like I received too little information about everything. Kaelyn kept mentioning Toronto and that she came back to the island but I never knew when did this happened. Kaelyn was also a strange person. She was always alone and after fighting with her best friend, Leo, she was a completely outsider. She was also difficult to identify and to "connect" with.
And of course in a book with a deadly virus, a lot of people will die! I realized that before I started reading, but afterwards it was kind of sad the whole time. But it's completely understandable that some characters just have to die.

To summarize I enjoyed reading The Way We Fall but I just expected some more. But I understand that in a book like this one, you just can't expect good things all the time or that it will have a happy ending. But I will without a doubt read the next book coming out next year. Crewe left a big cliffhanger in the end of this one and I can't wait to read what will happen next! Overall this book was a good read, not one of the best but I guess not all books can be great. If you won't have a problem with people dying and some really sad and stressing scenes, then this is the book for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis